Event planning is an awesome industry because it’s always evolving. Style trends in colours, decor and fashion are ever changing, now add to that the cool advances in technology, and you’ve got a lot to work with when it comes to event planning.
Here are 5 Event Planning Trends you should be aware of:
1. Time is valuable
The old age saying that time is money is not going away any time soon, and in the our current culture of instant gratification, you need to ensure that your guests are getting as much value from the time they are committing to be at your event, as possible.
- If you are hosting annual events, think about investing in an app. This can make it really easy for your guests to find every bit of information they need, from maps, to parking, to your list of speakers.
- Setup QR codes at your event to avoid printing numerous program schedules and doing other unnecessary printing. If it’s on the app, guests can easily check what’s coming up and finding out about changes as they happen!
Guests want to be stimulated an engaged. No one wants to sit through an entire event hearing all the things they’ve heard before.
So when considering your keynote speakers, look for speakers who aren’t necessarily part of your industry. Speakers who think and speak outside of the box to encourage creative thinking among your guests. Outside opinions often encourage incredible debates, and will make your event memorable!
3. ‘Brain Breaks’
Events and conferences can be quite taxing, especially when they are jam packed with speakers, have numerous topics taking place in different rooms of one venue or last multiple days.
Ideas to encourage this include:
- Privacy pods where guests can give themselves a time out.
- Break rooms or cubicles to make phone calls or just take a few minutes to breathe.
- Incorporate wellness activities like 5 minute yoga
- Incorporate spaces where healthy meals and smoothies can be enjoyed in silence, or if that’s not possible, in an outdoor area where guests can get some fresh air.
This is another opportunity to capitalize on using an app to connect with your guests. Allow guests to vote or offer their input certain topics, load discounts and vouchers from sponsors or reminders about sessions they are interested in sitting in on.
5. Eco Events or Sustainability
This is a generation that is extremely mindful of the environment, and going green really is the right thing to do.
When planning your event, be mindful of the following, and encourage your guests to do the same:
- Single use plastic
- Bottled water
- Recyclable paper or other materials (even name tags and programs can be recyclable and guests will notice!)
- Food storage or serving containers
- Sustainable and fair trade food options
- Donations or support of community organisations.